Monday, March 26, 2012

My New Temp Job

That job, I can't say it is in the bag, but I am IN! So, I began training on Friday, did some more on Saturday, and I had my first shift by myself last night (well this morning). I am ecstatic! 

The organization that I work (this is a temporary position because the person I am covering for is on leave...after she comes back I am going to be a floater) provides services for women that are in need of housing, counseling, child care, legal services, visitation services, job placement, and so much more (I literally spent two hours online yesterday trying to memorize all the different programs they have). They also provide some services for men, youth, and veterans, but the majority of our population are women.

The shift was 12 (midnight) to 8am this morning and it was very slllooowww up until 7am. So I sit in this office that faces the front door and the lobby. I am supposed to pick up phones, buzz people in (I have to buzz people in through two different doors. Also housing is located on site), transfer calls to the appropriate staff members, and I am supposed to keep an eyeball out on what is going on (we have video cameras in 16 different locations around the premises). There is a lot of security for the women that this organization serves however we do not have an actual security guard. BUT, I kid not, if the cameras, locked doors, and a couple of other security measures fail...we have a baseball bat within arm's reach. BOOM! (and whack!).

We have a tv, radio, and computer in the room that I can use to keep myself awake...but honestly...I want to do anything that will allow me to contribute anything to the org (I don't just want to sit there!). So tonight I am going to compile a list of the things I may hopefully be able to help with... In fact I must go soon, my shift begins in 51 minutes!

In the meantime, it was Athena's birthday (yay 26!) on the 22nd so here are some pictures of our diy event:


Jeffrey baked AND decorated this delicious cake for his lovely wife (I helped transfer it, that's about it)

Athena was quite pleased with her birthday iphone! We also ordered Olive Garden and it was a merry time

We put balloons up to decorate this festivity.

Well, I will write more tomorrow. Gotta run, g'night to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment